Thursday 18 July 2013

San Francisco day 2 (the day after)

Bad bad idea to drink a bit of alcohol yesterday after most of the day spent walking.  I went everywhere! Spent some good time near the civic centre as part of the book is set there: went to the libary, took a few pictures, went all the way from the hostel, which is on Minna st and ninth st, to the Ferry building to have lunch with a friend (thank God we shared this ceasar salad, the portions were enormous!) and I realised I knew this place thanks to the film Interview with a vampire as the opening scene starts from there,  went to Union square and spent time at Macy's (as one of my characters works there! ), went to Chinatown, went to little Saigon (not sure where it is now!), took an escalator in a skyscraper in the financial district to see the view thanks to a guy met on the street who told me about that: many buildings have a top roof garden and this is indicated by a sign on the door,  then took the tourist bus, "went" to the summer of love place, Golden gate park, the golden gate bridge (that was scary!) went back to Union square, took the metro at Powell station and arrived at Castro, bit of a walk there then bought a vodka ice and drunk it on the street (not sure this is allowed but I didn't get into troubles that's the main thing) and therefore today I have a headache. Oh well it is getting better by the minute.
Cold here,  bought socks and a sweater in great haste yesterday after the bus trip. One minute it was sunny and shiny,  the next foggy, very foggy.  The bridge looked stunning!
Today well I will take the bus again well maybe not sure in order to go to fisherman's wharf,probably a very touristy pplace but nevermind. I need to know this city by heart and from now on will take the bus (metro was a nightmare anyway!  Only two carriages I thought I was in Tokyo! ) Then this afternoon I'm going to Berkeley university,  I will take the Bart system (no no it is not a train with the effigy of Bart Simpson!) and then and then no idea!  Perhaps try to hear the orchestra? Pierre Monteux, the conductor of the premiere of le sacre du printemps was the conductor here for a while! :-) In Berkeley now.  People a lot more friendly here because I have to say so far I'm not too impressed. Grumpiness level high,  annoyance on the street level very high.  Am I in Paris or what? but must go back to the grumpy and annoying people now!  Surely it will get better. And perhaps it's the difference between small towns and big cities, after all there is a difference between London and Oxford... must make the most of my tourist bus ticket! Or, if I feel courageous I must find a living space for Dolores O'Brien in the Mission district.  You don't know who Dolores O'Brien is?  Neither do I,  she's emerging from my brain slowly,  but surely. Yesterday I found the perfect place for Oprah Jackson, another one of my characters. End of day now.  I walked from south of Market to Ferry then to the Fisherman's thingie (what is the fuss about this place? ) then slowly but surely I made it to Nob hill, passing Coit tower! Oh don't you just love this place? We should have names like that in London or Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment